I found the above image while perusing Pinterest and I said to myself, "Self, let's try this!" I usually stick to a solid color when I do my nails, but this fun mani was something I couldn't pass up. So I grabbed the goods and got to work.
What you need:
Gelous Advance Nail Gel Coat or a normal base coat (go here to see how I use this product in a mani)
Out The Door Top Coat
A color polish -- I chose Essie's Watermelon
White polish -- I used Essie's Marshmellow
Black polish -- I used Nicole by OPI in Hard Kourt Fashionista from the Kardashian Kolors line
Chevron nail decals
1) After using a normal base coat or the Gelous system on your middle fingers, paint the nails with your white polish. You want to make sure to do these nails first so that they have plenty of time to dry before adding the chevron patten.
2) I chose to paint my pinkies, pointer fingers and thumbs next. Make sure to do a base coat (or Gelous system) before applying the nail color. Finish off these nails with a top coat.
3) Now, time for the glitter! I used left over loose glitter I bought at Michaels. Paint your ring finger on one hand with a base coat, or two coats of the Gelous Advance Gel Coat. Quickly, sprinkle loose glitter onto the nail before the base coat dries. Gently press the glitter into the polish and brush off excess. Seal the glitter with two coats of a top coat or two coats of the Gelous. Repeat on your other hand.
4) Chevron time. You have two options here. You can either cut the chevron nail decals to fit your nail and seal it with two layers of top coat or you can do what I did. I've found that the nail decals peel off very easily, no matter how many layers of top coat I use. After placing the nail decals onto my nail, I took black polish and painted over the entire nail. Then, very slowly and gently, pull the decals off your nail. Let dry and seal with a top coat.
And there you have it! The final result...
- Make sure the black polish is completely dry before applying a top coat. As you can see, I thought I had given my nails enough time to dry, but did not which resulted in the polish bleeding a bit. Oops!
- This mani takes time. Don't rush it! And make sure you have plenty of time. It's a great project while watching a movie.
- Give the white polish at least an hour to dry. If you don't, the polish will come off when you peel the decals off.
So, what do you think?! Is this a mani you would rock?