Tuesday, January 1, 2013

That Time I Broke My Engagement Ring

Yup.... you read that right. I broke my engagement ring. I can only write about this now because the jeweler confirmed that he can fix it. Bless his heart...

The traumatic event happened the Sunday before Christmas. J and I were at Target grabbing some last minute white elephant presents for my family Christmas party. The scene of the crime happened in the candy aisle, which is quite unfortunate because it's usually one of my favorite aisles, but I'll now forever have nightmares of that row of sugary treats.

J has asked me to grab a bag of Tootsie Rolls and as I pulled my hand out of the wire basket the bags of candy were in, my precious engagement ring got caught on the wire. At first, all I noticed was that it hurt like hell and my finger was bleeding. It wasn't until later when I took a good look at my ring that I noticed the damage. The entire top portion of my ring where the center stone and the halo sits was bent forward and a small diamond on the band was missing!

You can imagine how I reacted. I had to keep it together since we were in public, but on the inside, I was hyperventilating and hysterical. I've been without my lovely engagement ring for about 8 days now, which obviously is like being without an arm. It's a surprise I can function without it. But the good news is homeboy jeweler is fixing it and it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg! THANKS HOMESLICE!

On a happier note....


I found my wedding dress! My momma and I went to a cute little wedding boutique this past Saturday to try on dresses for the first time. The consultants pulled a total of 8 dresses for me, and the very first dress I tried on, I knew was the one! Of course I tried on the remaining dresses because, let's be honest, how many times do you get to try on wedding dresses. While they were all gorgeous gowns, nothing compared to the first dress.

I want so badly to share a picture of the dress with you all, but J reads my blog, so that's not happening. All I can say is it's perfect and the exact dress I was looking for! Waiting 18 weeks for my dress to come in is going to be torture. I'm so impatient...

Hope all you ladies had a wonderful and safe New Years!

13 comments:

Sam said...

Glad you found a dress!! Can't wait to see it after be big day recap :)

Jenn @ My Not So Glamorous Life said...

Something similar happened to my ring once. It got caught on a door somehow and bent it all up. And hurt. Blah.
Glad that you are getting it fixed and excited for you that you found a dress!

Savannah said...

It's so awesome that your first dress was the one! Mine was too, I just didn't dare try on anymore :) Exciting!

Oh, and totally glad your ring is fixable!

Unknown said...

1. so sad about your ring. but yay that it is fixable. and if anything awful ever happened, that is what insurance is for.
2. yay for finding your dress!! :) that is so exciting. I tried on about 100, no lie so you're so lucky. The wait will go by super fast, but then the wait to wear it on the wedding day is a killer! :) And just remember, if you hate it when you put it on after picking it up (like i did. hello hysterics.) remember it has to be altered!

What a happy exciting time!! :)

Amber said...

I can't believe the very first dress you tried on was THE dress!! Jewelers can work some magic. I didn't realize this until after I started working at a high end jewelry store. You will get it back and never realize anything ever happened to it! I can't wait to see more of your wedding details show up on your blog. What an exciting time.

Erin said...

Ahh I can't believe you found it already!!! This is moving way too fast for me. Slow it down lady, I need to cherish all of this through you.

Unknown said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear your ring is broken but so glad your ring can be fixed though!!

Carolyn said...

OH NO!!! :( So glad they can fix it!

Bridget said...

Sorry to hear about your ring, Jenna! It’s a terrible feeling to lose a part of the most important ring you have, but look at the bright side: at least you didn’t lose the entire thing. Does the jeweler have the same exact replacement diamond for your ring? Make sure you have it appraised after since there’s a chance of losing the original value of your ring if it has been polished without your consent.

Bridget Rossi

Unknown said...

That wire basket was a sturdy one! I don’t think I’d be able to keep it together if I was the one who went through that ring ordeal. I probably would have broken down right in the middle of the store. I’m so glad that it was fixable though. Were you able to find the missing small diamond or did you have to get it replaced?

-Gwyneth

Business Profile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Business Profile said...

The blue diamond is have unique in the world. actually i want to replace my white diamond with blue diamond but how can do.
Diamond Texas

Janey Mills said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about this mishap! I'm sure that must've been terrible. I had a similar reaction the first time I noticed one of the tiny diamonds in the wristwatch my husband bought me was gone. I'm glad to hear that it can be fixed! I hope it came back as good as new!