Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Throw It In The Crockpot

I've been working on getting all domesticated these days, since I'm getting married and all. This domestication training includes making some bomb.com meals for my boo, almost all of which were made in the crockpot.

Ladies, if you don't have a crockpot, go out and get yo'self one. Your life will be changed. I mean, come on, what's easier than throwing a bunch of food in the crockpot and having a gourmet meal 4-6 hours later?! The answer is absolutely nothing.

I'm here today to share with you all a couple of meals I've made recently in the crockpot, and in my humble opinion, they all turned out delicioso. Justin agrees.

Shredded Buffalo Chicken
Source
I made this shredded buffalo chicken this weekend and it was a hit. The leftovers were even better -- I may or may not have had it twice yesterday. The recipe is super simple:
Ingredients:
Chicken, frozen or raw
1 packet of dry ranch dressing mix
A bottle of buffalo sauce
2 Tbsp of butter

Place the chicken in the crockpot and sprinkle the entire packet of dry ranch mix on top. Pour the buffalo sauce over everything (I used about half a bottle for four medium sized chicken breasts). Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. With half an hour remaining, shred the chicken. It should be so tender that you can easily shred it in the crockpot. Add 2 Tbsp of butter, let melt, and stir in. Let the chicken sit in the mixture for another half hour to soak up all the goodness.

You can serve this however you would like. I served mine on a toasted bun with some pepperjack cheese. You could eat this stuff using a ladle, it's that good!

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
Source
 Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
1c salsa
1 can of cream of chicken
Packet of taco seasoning
1/2c sour cream

Place the chicken in the crockpot and sprinkle the entire taco seasoning packet on top. In a bowl, mix together the salsa and cream of chicken. Pour the mixture on top of the chicken and taco seasoning. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. With half an hour remaining, shred the chicken (like above) and add the sour cream. Mix together and let cook for remaining 30 minutes.

This can either be served as a chicken taco or as a dip -- delicious either way! You can also take out the cream of chicken and add more salsa for a healthier option!

Chicken Taco Chili
Source
 Ingredients:
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 can of corn
2 cans of diced tomatoes with chilies
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
3-4 chicken breasts

Don't let all of the ingredients fool you, this chili is super simple. Put the chicken in the crockpot first and then add the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. Like the other two recipes, shred the chicken with 30 minutes remaining, stir the shredded chicken in with the rest of the ingredients and let cook for the remaining time. You can serve it over rice, as the picture shows, or with some cheddar cheese and sour cream.

If you have an ah-maze-ing crockpot recipe, please, do share! I will be forever grateful -- and I'm sure Justin will be too!

19 comments:

Sara Elizabeth said...

I rarely "legit" cook but when I do it's with a crockpot, best appliance other than my KitchenAid mixer. I usually find all of my recipes on Pinterest!

The Best of Both Worlds said...

Yum! I've tried the first but the second looks yummy! Will have to make that one

julia rose. said...

Ok I'm DEFINITELY busting out the crock pot this week! These look aaaahhhhmazing!

Carolyn said...

OMG! My mouth is watering over the buffalo chicken. Too bad the hubs hates it!!!!!

J and A said...

I made the buffalo chicken yesterday! :) So good and easy!!

Megan said...

the buffalo chicken sounds amazing! thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

This just made me soooooooooo hungry!!

The Millers said...

Yummmy! Ironically I made salsa chicken for dinner tonight :) the buffalo chicken looks pretty good too! And I totally didnt start cooking until we got married... yoi are ahead of the game! I am impressed!

the truth hurts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the truth hurts said...

the buffalo chicken did you cook it in any kind of broth or water

Anonymous said...

I made the slow cooker salsa chicken today...It was excellent. It was OMG good. Thanks for an easy great recipe!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just made the shredded buffalo chicken for dinner tonight and I loved it! My boyfriend was a little skeptical at first b/c he doesn't really like buffalo sauce, but once he tried it, he loved it!

To The Truth Hurts - I didn't add any water or broth to mine. just added all ingredients to the slow cooker and checked on it 5 hours later!

Thanks for the recipe! Also bought the ingredients to try the next two recipes!

Unknown said...

Just threw the 2nd one together but not that I read the directions again I realize I did it wrong... Face-palm! I mixed the sour cream in with the salsa mixture. Guess ill see what happens..

Unknown said...

Yum!! Crock pot chicken is on our meal plan this week

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

I love the Buffalo Chicken idea, will definitely give that a try. I cook chicken in my slow cooker all the time! One of our favorite recipes is:

6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 lbs. chicken breasts (or bone-in)
1/4 cup orange juice (that’s the purple container)
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Mix together and cook on low 4-6 hours (if chicken is thawed; longer if frozen). Yum!

Gwendolyn said...

Do you use the original Red Hot sauce or the buffalo flavor? I bought the buffalo flavor, but saw a comment on another blog with this recipe that it was way too salty. I just don't want to ruin 6 lbs.of chicken!
thanks!

Unknown said...

Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation. See the link below for more info.


#truly
www.ufgop.org

Rectangle said...

Maybe I'm missing something but how much chicken should be used in the buffalo shredded chicken recipe?

The others had amounts for the chicken. I didn't see one for the buffalo recipe.